The City of Rapid City provides residential curbside collection of garbage, recyclables and yard waste to accounts within city limits. The service is provided, per ordinance, to residential properties with no more than four living units. To start new service please call the City Utility Billing office at 394-4125.
Trash & Recycle Collection
- Collection hours are 7:00 am to 3:30pm Monday-Friday.
- Containers must be out by 7:00am to insure proper collection.
- Containers must be placed 4-feet apart and at least 4-feet from any vehicles, fencing, mailboxes, utility posts, and other objects.
- This allows sufficient space for the automated arms to grab the container and reduces the risk of damage to both private and city property.
- All refuse must be bagged, tied, and be able to fit into the city distributed collection container with the lid closed.
Items that ARE NOT collected in the collection containers:
- Yard waste & Sod
- Rolls of carpet
- Construction materials (lumber, plywood, sheetrock)
- Dirt, Rocks
- Liquids (paints, chemicals, oils)
- HOT ASH
- Hot ash WILL melt the can and may cause fire. Customers are responsible for the replacement cost of melted can.
Standard Can Prices and Sizes
- Medium: 65 gallons - $16.91 (Best for a household of 5 or less)
- Large: 95 gallons - $18.76 (Best for a household of 5+)
If size of the current garbage container is not suitable, residents may come to the Material Recovery Facility at the Landfill to exchange the containers for free. We do charge a $15.00 fee to exchange the can at your location.
- New residents are allowed one free can exchange at no cost with in the first 30-days of their residency.
Excessive amounts of garbage and large items are not collectable and will be left. Disposal will remain the responsibility of the account holder. Items not collected may be brought to the landfill:
- Construction materials (lumber, sheet rock, plywood)
- Furniture (couches, lounge chairs, entertainment centers, dressers)
- mattress and box springs
- Appliances (washers, dryers, dishwashers)
Yard Waste: Organic Yard Materials
Curbside yard waste collection is available April through November. Yard waste is NOT to be placed in your garbage or recycling container. Bags are to be set out on your normal collection day by 7 am.
- Branches tied in small bundles 3' long (25lbs max)
- All other yard waste must be placed in brown biodegradable yard waste bags.
Not acceptable yard waste material includes: Dirt, sod, lumber, pallets and rock
Adjusted Holiday Schedules
Garbage WILL NOT be collected on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day - January 1
- Good Friday - Friday immediately preceding Easter
- Memorial Day (Observed) - Last Monday in May
- Independence Day - July 4
- Labor Day - First Monday in September
- Veterans Day - November 11
- Thanksgiving Day - Fourth Thursday in November
- Christmas - December 25
Note: Holidays that fall on Saturday will be observed the preceding Friday and holidays that fall on Sunday will be observed the following Monday.